Information for follow-up
What does the study involve?
We will carry out a range of assessments looking at social behaviour and social understanding with eligible children and their caregivers/parents at one point in time.
Assessments will include:
- Home Visit - you will be asked to complete some questionnaires about your child’s social behaviours and about your current well-being. In addition, a variety of assessment will be completed with your child to assess how your child thinks about social interactions.
- Telephone Interview - We will ask you some questions about your child’s social behaviour, their prenatal experiences and about your own experiences of adoption and accessing post-adoption support services. The interview will take approximately 1.5 hours.
- Online Questionnaire - We will ask you to complete a questionnaire on the internet and will provide us with information about symptoms of common developmental and mental health problems. It will take about 50 minutes to complete.
- Teacher Questionnaire - We will ask permission to contact your child’s teacher to complete some short questionnaires about your child’s social behaviour, adaptation and progress in school. We may also arrange to observe your child at school for 10 minutes during playtime so that we can see how they interact with their classmates.
If the consenting adult agrees, we will provide a report of our assessments for the family and/or referring professional team.
Who can take part?
The follow up study will involve assessing children and parents currently enrolled within the SOCiAL study. We are currently in the process of contacting the relevant individuals to arrange a convenient time to follow up on the assessment measures.
If you think that we may not have your current contact details then please forward these to us as soon as possible.
What to do next
We will send you the relevant information to inform you of the follow-up phase of the study.
It is very important that you have received enough information about the research before you decide to take part.
We MUST also receive written consent from the child's legal guardian before we can complete any assessments.
- Take some time to read the participant information sheets which are available to download above (we can post copies to you if you prefer).
- We will ask you a few basic questions to make sure that you are definitely eligible to take part and also answer any queries that you may have.
Once we receive your consent forms we will arrange to visit you and your child to complete the assessments at a time and place which is convenient for you (i.e. after school, during the school holidays etc.)
What if we need further help or support?
More information about the background and purpose of the study is available on the about SOCiAL page.
If you have any concerns or questions you can contact us at any point before, during or after you participate in the study.
Our collaborators may also be able to provide further support or advice to parents or carers should they require it.