UK-RiME : UK Research in Musculoskeletal Epidemiology
The UK Research in Musculoskeletal Epidemiology (UK-RiME) partnership is a national collaboration between eight epidemiology centres:
- Arthritis Research UK Centre for Epidemiology (Manchester and East Anglia) - Dr Will Dixon and Prof Alex Macgregor
- Musculoskeletal Epidemiology Unit (Oxford) - Prof Nigel Arden
- MRC Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit (Southampton) - Prof Cyrus Cooper
- Academic Rheumatology Group (Bristol) - Prof Jonathan Tobias
- Epidemiology (Aberdeen) - Prof Gary Macfarlane
- Primary Care & Health Sciences (Keele) - Prof Danielle van der Windt
- Division of Rheumatology, Orthopaedics and Dermatology (Nottingham) - Prof Weiya Zhang
The partnership will develop a co-ordinated training programme facilitated by exchanges between departments at PhD, post-doctoral, NIHR academic clinical fellow, clinical fellow and international trainee levels. UK-RiME will facilitate access to one another’s cohorts and share analytical expertise with each other and the UK musculoskeletal research community.
Annual Research Showcase
The annual showcase provides an opportunity for face-to face meetings between members of the UK-RiME centres, facilitating the long term goals of the network. In addition, junior researchers within UK-RiME are encouraged to attend to present their research and develop their networking skills. The programme includes:
- Keynote speeches from leading experts in musculoskeletal epidemiology
- Brief presentations from each Centre
- ‘Elevator pitch' presentations by ACFs, post-docs, PhD students (clinical and non-clinical) and research assistants, with a prize for the best speaker
- 1-2-1 mentor meetings
- Break-out sessions to discuss methodological and clinical topics related to MSK epidemiology
The three showcases to date have been very successful, with the elevator pitches providing a fast paced highlight reel of the excellent research being undertaken across the centres. The breakout groups have covered a variety of shared topics of interest from UK Biobank, research in eHealth, CPRD, disease and drug registry studies to stratified medicine. Keynote presentations have been given by NIHR, Arthritis Research UK, NICE and esteemed rheumatology professor Peter Croft (Keele University).
‘Really enjoyed seeing what was going on elsewhere and opportunities to collaborate. The elevator pitches were very interesting and a great way to showcase the quality of work being done’
‘Great to meet other statisticians working in similar research areas’
‘Very motivating keynote speech’
‘A good meeting with excellent opportunities for networking’
‘I think UK-RIME is a fantastic way of getting MSK epidemiologists in the UK together to share ideas, foster understanding of work from different groups outside your own and aid in forming collaborative links with very like-minded researchers’
Annual Showcase 2017
The 4th UK-RiME annual showcase took place on 29th September 2017 at Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford. Keynote speeches were given by Professor Janet Lord (University of Birmingham) and Simon Denegri (Chair of INVOLVE).
Details of the 2018 Showcase will be available Spring / Summer 2018
The UK-RiME Dual Mentorship programme aims to help early career researchers with career advice and planning their future. It is an opportunity to receive personal support from an experienced senior researcher within musculoskeletal epidemiology who is keen to offer advice and share their expertise and experiences.